🇦🇿 THE 2020 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX
ROUND 7. 5th – 7th June.
1025th F1 GRAND PRIX | 4th AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX | 5th GRAND PRIX AT BAKU CITY CIRCUIT
2019 POLESITTER: VALTTERI BOTTAS | 2019 WINNER: VALTTERI BOTTAS
Friday 5th June
Free Practice 1 (1pm Local Time/ 10am UK Time)
Free Practice 2 (5pm Local Time/ 2pm UK Time)
Saturday 6th June
Free Practice 3 (2pm Local Time/ 11am UK Time)
Qualifying (5pm Local Time/ 2pm UK Time)
Sunday 7th June
The 2020 Azerbaijan Grand Prix (4:10pm Local Time/ 1:10pm UK Time)
- Information about the race weekend, such as DRS zones and track changes, will be posted here.
🇦🇿 WEEKEND MILESTONES AND RECORDS
- No driver has recorded multiple wins at the Baku City Circuit since it joined the calendar in 2016. Daniel Ricciardo, Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas could change that this weekend. The same is true of pole positions, with Sebastian Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas able to become the first repeat Baku polesitter.
- Sergio Perez, Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Valtteri Bottas currently share the record for most Baku podiums with two apiece. They could extend the record this weekend, while Daniel Ricciardo, Lance Stroll or Kimi Raikkonen could equal the record.
- Ferrari could equal Mercedes’ record tally of five podiums this weekend. Mercedes could extend their record, or Ferrari could equal it; but only if Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc both finish on the podium without either Mercedes driver recording a top three result.
- Despite only starting one race here, Nico Rosberg still holds the record for most laps led at the Baku City Circuit. He led all 51 laps of the first race here in 2016. Any driver could equal that this weekend, while Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Charles Leclerc and Daniel Ricciardo could all surpass that figure. Closest to the record is Valtteri Bottas, who has led 49 laps at the track so far.
You can find more information about the records which could be broken this weekend in our Milestones and Records to Beat post.
ALL THE INFO
Click the links below to see all the stats and circuit history you could need ahead of the race!
- Baku City Circuit: The Ultimate Track Guide
- Baku City Circuit Track Stats
- Milestones and Records to Beat
- Team Form
- Driver Form
- Grid Slot Stats
- Azerbaijan Power Performers
- 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Statistics
- 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Statistics
2019 RACE RECAP
Valtteri Bottas retook the championship lead with a win at the 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix. The weekend was filled with bizarre incidents.
There was drama right from the start of the Baku weekend as the First Practice session had to be cancelled following a series of unfortunate incidents. Firstly, George Russell ran over a loose drain cover which destroyed the floor of his car. Then, the recovery vehicle which was transporting his stricken car was too big to fit under a bridge and the two objects made contact. The drain covers were welded and the recovery trucks put away, but Saturday’s qualifying was just as dramatic. Robert Kubica brought out the red flags in Q1 with a crash at the tight Turn 8, and Charles Leclerc did the same thing in Q2. After a lengthy delay, it was Valtteri Bottas who eventually took pole position. The Mercedes drivers went side by side into the opening turns, but Bottas maintained his advantage. The opening laps passed without much incident, Former team-mates Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat found themselves out-braking each other, and Ricciardo made things worse by forgetting to check his mirrors before reversing right into the Toro Rosso. Romain Grosjean and Pierre Gasly became the third and fourth retirements of the afternoon, each pulling aside with mechanical problems. Hamilton closed in on the back of his leading team-mate, but Bottas held on to take his second win of the season. The Finn reclaimed the championship lead with his victory. Sebastian Vettel finished third, while Charles Leclerc was awarded Driver of the Day.
PRESS CONFERENCE SCHEDULES
The world’s media will have the opportunity to talk to the drivers on the Thursday before the race. Appearing in the Drivers’ Press Conference for this race weekend will be:
The media also be talking to prominent members of Formula 1’s teams on Friday. Appearing in the Teams’ Press Conference for this race weekend will be:
Each weekend a former Formula 1 driver, or a driver from another prominent series of motorsport, joins the stewards to help judge any incidents from a drivers’ perspective. The Driver Steward this weekend will be TBC.
The weather forecast for the week ahead at the circuit currently looks like this:
FASTEST EVER LAP
Pirelli are yet to reveal which tyre compounds will be used for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix weekend. Each driver’s selection of tyres will be announced closer to the event.
RECENT FASTEST LAPS IN EACH SESSION
|Free Practice 1||1:44.410 (Max Verstappen)
||1:44.242 (Valtteri Bottas)||1:47.497 (Charles Leclerc)|
|Free Practice 2||1:43.362 (Max Verstappen)
||1:42.795 (Daniel Ricciardo)||1:42.872 (Charles Leclerc)|
|Free Practice 3||1;42.742 (Valtteri Bottas)
||1:43.091 (Sebastian Vettel)||1:41.604 (Charles Leclerc)|
|Qualifying||1:40.593 (Lewis Hamilton)
||1:41.498 (Sebastian Vettel)||1:40.495 (Valtteri Bottas)|
|Grand Prix||1:43.441 (Sebastian Vettel)||1:45.149 (Valtteri Bottas)||1:43.009 (Charles Leclerc)|