?? THE 2018 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA 2018
Round 5. 11th-13th May.
981st F1 Grand Prix | 60th Spanish Grand Prix | 28th Grand Prix at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
2017 POLESITTER: LEWIS HAMILTON | 2017 WINNER: LEWIS HAMILTON
Stats and Facts
- Between 2006 and 2016, eleven different drivers took victory from the eleven Spanish Grands Prix held at this track.
- The longest run of consecutive poles at this track is five, for Michael Schumacher between 2000 and 2004.
- Of the current grid, Lewis Hamilton has the most poles here, with three. Kimi Raikkonen has two, while Fernando Alonso has one.
- Hamilton has taken the last two Spanish Grand Prix poles.
- This is one of few tracks on the calendar where Sebastian Vettel has never started from pole.
- There have been no back-to-back winners at this track since Michael Schumacher won four in a row between 2001 and 2004.
- Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton are all tied on two Spanish Grand Prix victories. Sebastian Vettel and Max Verstappen have the opportunity to join that club this weekend.
- Ferrari lead the way with eight wins at this track, Williams have six, McLaren have four and Red Bull and Mercedes are tied on three victories each.
?? Local Heroes
All eyes will be on Fernando Alonso this weekend. Attendance of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend has skyrocketed since Alonso became prominent in Formula One. Alonso has taken victory in his home country three times – once at Valencia and twice at this track, in 2006 and 2013.
Fans will also be backing Carlos Sainz who’ll be looking for a strong home weekend. His best result here has been sixth, in 2016.
Press Conference Schedules
The Drivers’ Press Conference will take place on Thursday 10th May. The press conference will be split into two parts, with three drivers appearing in the first part, and a further three in the second part. The drivers appearing in front of the media will be:
|Fernando Alonso (McLaren)
|Brendon Hartley (Toro Rosso)
|Sergio Perez (Force India)
|Carlos Sainz (Renault)
The Team Principals’ Press Conference will take place shortly after Free Practice 2. Appearing in front of the media will be:
|Cyril Abiteboul (Renault)
|Mattia Binotto (Ferrari)
|Andy Cowell (Mercedes)
|Toyoharu Tanabe (Honda)
Each weekend a former Formula One driver, or a driver from another prominent series of motorsport, joins the stewards to help judge any incidents from a drivers’ perspective. The Driver Steward for the 2018 Spanish Grand Prix is Derek Warwick.
The weather forecast for the week ahead at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya track currently looks like this:
Fastest Ever Lap
The fastest ever lap of the circuit was set by Lewis Hamilton in 2017. Will it be beaten over the 2018 Spanish Grand Prix weekend?
Pirelli will supply Medium, Soft, and Super Soft tyres for the Spanish Grand Prix.
Here are each driver’s choice of tyre for the event:
2017 Fastest Lap in each Session
The table below shows the fastest lap set in each session of the 2017 Spanish Grand Prix weekend:
|Free Practice 1
|1:21.521 (Lewis Hamilton)
|Free Practice 2
|1:20.802 (Lewis Hamilton)
|Free Practice 3
|1;20.214 (Kimi Raikkonen)
|1:19.149 (Lewis Hamilton)
|1:23.593 (Lewis Hamilton)